Welcome to the 2020 digital collections round up!
In spite of the dumpster fire of 2020, Duke Digital Collections had a productive and action packed year (maybe too action packed at times).
Per usual we launched new and added content to existing digital collections (full list below). We are also wrapping up our mega-migration from our old digital collections system (Tripod2) to the Duke Digital Repository! This migration has been in process for 5 years, yes 5 years. We plan to celebrate this exciting milestone more in January so stay tuned.
The Digital Production Center, in collaboration with the Rubenstein Library, shifted to a new folder level workflow for patron and instruction requests. This workflow was introduced just in time for the pandemic and the resulting unprecedented number of digitization requests. As a result of the demand for digital images, all project work has been put aside and the DPC is focusing on patron and instruction requests only. Since late June, the DPC has produced over 40,000 images!
Another digital collections highlight from 2020 is the development of new features for our preservation and access interface, the Duke Digital Repository. We have wasted no time using these new features especially “metadata only” and the DDR to CONTENTdm connection.
Looking ahead to 2021, our priorities will be the folder level digitization workflow for researcher and instruction requests. The DPC received 200+ requests since June, and we need to get all those digitized folders moved into the repository. We are also experimenting with preserving scans created outside of the DPC. For example Rubenstein Library staff created a huge number of access copies using reading room scanners, and we would like to make them available to others. Lastly, we have a few bigger digital collections to ingest and launch as well.
Thanks to everyone associated with Digital Collections for their incredible work this year!! Whew, it has been…a year.
Laundry list of 2020 Digital Collections
- Doris Duke Audiovisual: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/dukedorisaudiovisual
- Duke Graduate Students Union Records: https://repository.duke.edu/catalog/0f73134f-e460-4614-aa84-e0e94683f37c
- Duke Taekwondo records: https://repository.duke.edu/catalog/1144e90c-07d5-4af1-bc9b-d60ac8f0795c
- Environmental Alliance Records: https://repository.duke.edu/catalog/4087899b-1cf4-4c25-8d78-487b5f092707
- Istanbul Photographs and Postcards Collection: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/istanbulpostcards
- Palestinian Student Films: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/palestinianstudentfilms
- Palestinian Oral History Project: https://repository.duke.edu/catalog/d7202c4e-b7ad-4884-ae41-fe7898d63c33
- Postcards from Greece: Salonica / Selanik / Thessaloniki: https://repository.duke.edu/catalog/e10d5dc1-9dfe-4c9e-9344-8cb944c30a7a
- Refugee Lives Oral History Project: https://repository.duke.edu/catalog/bc4c2c59-4ea8-4a73-af5b-0d2acf28a99c
- Small Manuscript collections from the Rubenstein Library, boxes 36 – 41 and 43, or Clement Dorsey Letter – Edwin Emery papers and Richard Everard papers – David Ewing papers
- Southern Lesbian-Feminist Activist Herstory Project: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/slfaherstoryproject
- Videos by Latina Women: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/videosbylatinawomen
- Facilities Management Department records: https://repository.duke.edu/catalog/32e9d01a-6593-4e3b-a285-4c0e182eee5d
- Football program Duke vs. Alabama, 1945 Jan 01: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/dfp/dspfb04127
- Major Speakers Committee, 1956-2003: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/uaduumsp
- Student Organizations reference collection: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/uastuorgrc
Digital Collections Additions
- Ciuitates orbis terrarium: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/maps/cotst001001
- Football program: Duke vs. Alabama, 1945 Jan 01: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/dfp/dspfb04127
- The Memory Project – new interviews: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/memoryproject
- Radio Haiti Archive: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/radiohaiti (new recordings and photographs)
- Adviews: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/adviews
- Anatomical Fugitive Sheets: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/fugitivesheets
- Behind the Veil: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/behindtheveil
- Degeto Weltspiegel 22. Entscheidung auf dem Balkan III. Sprung nach Kreta. [Decision in the Balkans III. Jump to Crete.], 1941: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/degetoweltspiegel22
- Duke Chronicle: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/dukechronicle
- DukEngineer: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/dukengineer
- Frederick Augustus Grant Cowper Papers: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/uacowperfred
- Gertrude Duby Blom exhibit photographs: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/blomgertrude
- Historic American Sheet Music: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/hasm
- J. Walter Thompson Newsletters: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/jwtnewsletters
- Jazz Loft Project records: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/jazzloftproject
- John Hope Franklin Ephemera Collection: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/jhfephemera
- Joseph Sinsheimer papers: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/sinsheimerjoseph
- Morris and Dorothy Margolin film collection: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/margolinm
- Newsreel of the Fifth Party Congress of the Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiter-Partei (Nazi Party), 1933: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/nazinurembergnewsreel
- Richard Pollay Acme Advertising Collection: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/pollayacme
- Silent film clip of Trent Room dedication at Duke University Medical Library: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/trentdedicationfilmclip
- Video for Social Change Oral History Collection: https://repository.duke.edu/dc/videoforsocialchange