The objectives of the Duke Digital Collections Program are:
- To create digital collections that are distinctive in terms of their content and/or the means of access they provide to their content;
- To provide digital access to library and archival materials at Duke, especially materials that reflect strengths in the Libraries’ collections and that are useful for teaching, learning, and research at Duke and elsewhere;
- To transform unique teaching and research materials of broad value held by Duke faculty members, departments, and programs into digital collections that are searchable and accessible over the Web;
- To reformat text, image, sound, and moving image collections that are not readily accessible in their current format or would be damaged by use in that format;
- To contribute collaboratively to national and international digital collections initiatives that benefit Duke and the larger research community.