Lilly Renovation Enters the Home Stretch

A view of Lilly’s modern expansion behind the original 1927 structure. The expansion has dramatically increased the library’s footprint, adding significantly more user seating (635 seats, compared to the original 444) and more group study spaces, which are in high demand by Duke students.

Earlier this summer, while Duke was mailing thousands of hard-earned diplomas to newly minted alumni, here in the Duke Libraries we were celebrating a different kind of major milestone—the renovation and expansion of Lilly Library is over 85 percent complete!

With construction of the building’s framing, roof, and exterior now finished, our focus has turned to the inside of the library. Before the university can receive a certificate of occupancy, the interior walls and ceilings must be finished and painted, the flooring and carpeting installed, and the HVAC, plumbing, and electrical systems all brought online.

While construction crews continue to put the finishing touches on the building’s interior, several library teams are meeting to advance other aspects of the project. These include identifying artwork to go throughout the library; designing wayfinding signage and building directories; establishing policies and processes for reserving group study rooms and other high-demand spaces; working with our campus partners who will have dedicated space in Lilly (such as the Thompson Writing Program, Office of Information Technology, Duke Dining Services, and the Duke Testing Center); and designing outreach programs and events so that we can hit the ground running when the library officially opens in January 2027.

While all of this work is happening, we wanted to share a few recent behind-the-scenes images. It’s exciting to see years of planning, fundraising, and construction work finally come to life, just in time to celebrate another historic milestone—the centennial of the library’s original opening in 1927! Stay tuned for details on a birthday party you won’t want to miss.


Overlooking the main entrance atrium, which features a new second-story balcony connecting the library’s two wings.

The charm and character of the historic Thomas Reading Room on the second floor will be preserved, but its finishes, furnishings, lighting, and technology infrastructure are being enhanced.

This window once marked the back of Lilly’s original stacks, overlooking the tennis courts. Now it forms an interior wall, part of a new reading room on the second floor, bringing the beauty of the original brick and marble exterior inside and up-close.

The new open reading room on the second floor, surrounded by natural light. Metal sun screen louvers outside the windows are angled to provide shade and keep the room cool as the day goes on.

Although it may be hard to picture with all the equipment in the way, this will be a new café space on the ground floor, opening onto an outdoor terrace.

Kelley Lawton, Head of East Campus Libraries, poses in what will soon be her new office, with an inspiring view looking into the historic Carpenter Reading Room.