As we sit down to our Thanksgiving dinners, I leave you with a few images from a recent acquisition of thirty-four medical prints collected and donated by William H. Helfand. The posters date mainly from 18th century Paris, but the earliest dates to 1695 (the Kospter poster below) and the latest to 1991. They are [...]Continue Reading →
Need something to do with the turkey leftover from Thanksgiving? One of our 1950s advertising cookbooks put out by the Poultry & Egg National Board had 33 suggestions, including turkey and corn casseroles, turkey macaroni loaf, and something called “Turkey Red Devils.” However, the Home Economic Staff of the PENB Laboratory Kitchen (pictured below) really [...]Continue Reading →
Today’s Thanksgiving menu comes from a 1940 advertising cookbook published by Sealtest Dairy, which was a division of the National Dairy Products Corporation, a predecessor to Kraft Foods. They marketed their dairy products as having “scientific supervision unsurpassed,” and printed recipes developed in their Laboratory Kitchen. Despite the cover image showing turkey, a [...]Continue Reading →
In honor of all the cooking and eating we’re planning to do for Thanksgiving, we wanted to share a few menus and recipes from Thanksgivings past. Over the next couple of days, look for delicious posts drawing from the Hartman Center’s extensive collection of advertising cookbooks.
Today’s recipe comes [...]Continue Reading →
Search The Devil’s Tale
Tag Cloud2011acquisitions 2012acquisition advertisements advertising African American history artistsbooks audubon civilwar comicbooks conservation diaries digitization documentary dorisduke dukehistory durhamhistory economists events film fullframe games german judaica holidays human rights letterhead literature longcivilrights madmen madmenmondays movediary move prep movinghom oversized photography postcards recipes researchtips rubensteinstaff scrapbooks sports students thanksgiving wola women's history zines
The Devil’s Tale Archive
- Paul Derval, a le plaisir de vous presenter Une vraie folie : superspectacle en 2 actes et 40 tableaux de Michel Gyarmathy.
- Casino de Paris : Tout Paris, revue en 2 actes et 45 tableaux de M.M. Albert Willemetz, Saint Granier et Jean Le Seyeux, présentée par Léon Volterra.
- Premier album descriptif de Montmartre en 1927
- Now May 13, 2013
- Ye have asked enough May 13, 2013
- Introduction to the German language; comprising a German grammar, with an appendix of important tables and other matter; and a German reader ... and a vocabulary adapted to the selections May 13, 2013
- Representation of the heart of man in its depraved state by nature : and the changes which it experiences under the influences of the spirit of God operating upon it : to which are added, directions for keeping the heart May 13, 2013
- The husbandman and housewife: a collection of valuable recipes and directions, relating to agriculture and domestic economy May 13, 2013