Sometimes in Technical Services, we get to work with the visual arts as they intersect with the Rubenstein Library’s mission of cultural documentation. One such collection, acquired by the Sallie Bingham Center for Women’s History and Culture, is the Clarissa Sligh Papers. [...]Continue Reading →
In the mid 1980s, Duke history student Joseph Sinsheimer interviewed veterans of the fight for voting rights in early-1960s Mississippi. The generational distance between the interviews and the subject worked in Sinsheimer’s favor: his narrators had gained the perspective of years but many still had their youth, with memory intact, and were ready [...]Continue Reading →
The 50th anniversary of a key moment in the desegregation of Durham, North Carolina came and went largely without fanfare last month. It was in May 1963 that, amid growing racial discord in the city, Mayor Wense Grabarek prevailed upon business and community leaders, black and white alike, to cooperate in desegregating the city. The [...]Continue Reading →
Search The Devil’s Tale
Tag Cloud2011acquisitions 2012acquisition 2013acquisition advertisements advertising African American African American history archives artistsbooks civilwar conservation diaries digitization documentary dorisduke dukehistory durhamhistory economists events film fullframe games Haiti Heschel holidays human rights letterhead literature longcivilrights madmen Mad Men madmenmondays medicine movediary move prep movinghom photography recipes renovation rubensteinstaff scrapbooks sports students women's history zines
The Devil’s Tale Archive
- Outpost Films Billion Dollar Babe production video, 1998 January 28.
- Alan Alpert illustrated journal of business travel in Greece and India, with notes on Indian religious beliefs, 1978 July 6-1979 Jan 3.
- Catherine Love poetry and miscellaneous scrapbook, 1832 March 10.
- Congo Free State photograph album presented to King Léopold II, 1892 August 18.
- Kristin Bedford photographs, 1930s-2014 and undated.
- Divini Gregorij Nyssae Episcopi qui fuit frater Basilij Magni Libri octo : I. De Homine, II. De Anima, III. De Elementis, IIII. De Viribus animae, V. De volũ[n]tario et inuolũ[n]tario, VI. De Fato, VII. De Libero arbitrio, VIII. De Prouidentia.
- Homo microcosmus, hoc est: Parvus mundus, macrocosmo : id est: magno mundo, in variis aeri incisis figuris tot[q́ue] carminibus Latinis, per selectiores veterum poëtarum fabulas, nec non elegantiores quasdam historias, emblematicè expositus : cujus haec editio tertia : in qua Latina ist a carmina puris rhythmis, Germanicis sunt donata, fabulae verò mythologicaè elucidatae, adjectis brevibus, ast salutaribus, ethico-politico-theologicus moralibus : opus, non solùm ad studiosae juventutis, sed etiam pictorum, scluptorum, aliorumq́ue artificum graphidi & caelaturae incumbentium, usum & delectationem adornatum
- The big feminist but : comics about women, men and the ifs, ands & buts of feminism
- Of aged angels
- Children of the plains