This delightful manuscript item came to conservation for some minor repairs and housing. It is an eighteenth-century card game with a sheet of instructions describing itself as “The Mad Dog, or Take Care of Yourself: A Company Play with coloured Plates on 12 Cards in a Paper Case.”
The faces of the cards [...]Continue Reading →
Conservation is nearing the end of a project that we have been working on since 2009, the broadside collection. In addition to broadsides, this collection includes thousands of posters, handbills, maps, diplomas, and a variety of paper ephemera. We in the conservation department have been coordinating with the Digital Production Center (DPC) to [...]Continue Reading →
Figuring out suitable storage for historical artifacts in a collection is a daily challenge for archivists in the Rubenstein Library’s Technical Services Dept. Our goal is to provide easy access to the artifacts while protecting them in a safe and secure manner. Many times we can manage this with the standard boxes and padding materials [...]Continue Reading →
Two big rehousing projects have been underway in the conservation lab for several months now. One, the papyrus project, has been mentioned in the conservation department’s own blog, Preservation Underground.Continue Reading →
One of my ongoing processing projects for the past year was to arrange and describe the Edwin and Terry Murray Collection of Role-Playing Games, a vast collection with thousands of books, boxed games, miniature pieces, card sets, magazines — all relating to the world of RPGs. Most of [...]Continue Reading →
According to oral tradition, Emily Johnson’s headstone was discovered in the 1960s at the construction site of the Divinity School addition. It remained in a closet there until 1993, when it was transferred to the custody of the Duke University Archives. How the headstone ended up on campus and where it [...]Continue Reading →
The Rubenstein Library owns a well-worn copy of Robert Burns’ Poems, Chiefly in the Scottish Dialect that was selected for conservation treatment in October of 2010. The full sheepskin binding was in fair condition and broken at the board hinges. A previous spine repair attempt with what appeared to be Elmer’s glue left the leather [...]Continue Reading →
Sorting through the unprocessed contents of an archival collection can be compared to a treasure hunt – sometimes you find an unexpected gem that produces an impromptu “ooh,” but then after the initial excitement wears off, you have to figure out what you’re actually looking at and then decide what to do with it.
A [...]Continue Reading →
In 1918, the week of November 11-18 was not only a celebration of the end of World War I, but was coincidentally also a week of massive fundraising by the United War Work Campaign to support troops and boost morale until their work was done. The scrapbook of posters and pamphlets from the campaign was [...]Continue Reading →
Search The Devil’s Tale
Tag Cloud2011acquisitions 2012acquisition advertisements advertising African American history artistsbooks audubon civilwar comicbooks conservation diaries digitization documentary dorisduke dukehistory durhamhistory economists events film fullframe games german judaica holidays human rights letterhead literature longcivilrights madmen madmenmondays movediary move prep movinghom oversized photography postcards recipes researchtips rubensteinstaff scrapbooks sports students thanksgiving wola women's history zines
The Devil’s Tale Archive
- Paul Derval, a le plaisir de vous presenter Une vraie folie : superspectacle en 2 actes et 40 tableaux de Michel Gyarmathy.
- Casino de Paris : Tout Paris, revue en 2 actes et 45 tableaux de M.M. Albert Willemetz, Saint Granier et Jean Le Seyeux, présentée par Léon Volterra.
- Premier album descriptif de Montmartre en 1927
- Now May 13, 2013
- Ye have asked enough May 13, 2013
- Introduction to the German language; comprising a German grammar, with an appendix of important tables and other matter; and a German reader ... and a vocabulary adapted to the selections May 13, 2013
- Representation of the heart of man in its depraved state by nature : and the changes which it experiences under the influences of the spirit of God operating upon it : to which are added, directions for keeping the heart May 13, 2013
- The husbandman and housewife: a collection of valuable recipes and directions, relating to agriculture and domestic economy May 13, 2013