I was looking through the May 1944 issue of Duke’s Divinity School Bulletin when I came across a brief article about a Bo tree (Ficus religiosa) presented to the Divinity School in honor of then-Ivey Professor of the History of Religion and Missions James Cannon III. (He’d later serve as the Divinity School’s dean from 1951 to 1958.)
You’ve possibly heard the tradition that Gautama Buddha was sitting beneath a tree when he attained Enlightenment. That tree was a Bo, or Bodhi, tree, and it is, as a result, sacred to Buddhists.
Professor Cannon’s Bo tree had its own august history, as the article relates:
The Cannon Bo-tree is descended from the Bo-tree planted at the ruined city of Anuradhapura, near Kandy, in Ceylon. In the year 288 B.C., King Asoka of India sent a shoot from the parent tree to Ceylon. To this day the tree is worshiped by throngs of pilgrims. In 1929 an American tourist obtained a shoot from the Ceylon Bo-tree, planted it on his Florida estate, and several months ago presented a shoot to Duke.
We found snapshots of Professor Cannon with his Bo tree in his papers. He looks very serene, doesn’t he? A note from the back of one of the snapshot states that his “topcoat is supposed to represent Buddha’s ‘yellow robe.’”
We’re not certain of the current whereabouts of Duke’s Bo tree. Do you have any information about it?
Search The Devil’s Tale
Tag Cloud2011acquisitions 2012acquisition 2013acquisition advertisements advertising African American history archives artistsbooks civilwar conservation diaries digitization documentary dorisduke dukehistory durham durhamhistory economists events film fullframe games Haiti Heschel holidays human rights letterhead literature longcivilrights madmen Mad Men madmenmondays medicine movediary move prep movinghom photography recipes renovation rubensteinstaff scrapbooks sports students women's history zines
The Devil’s Tale Archive
- American Colony lantern slides of the Middle East, 1910s-1940s. September 16, 2014
- Keystone View Company educational lantern slides set, 1904-circa 1919. September 16, 2014
- Company of Merchants of the City of Edinburgh petition against the Corn Bill, 1815 March 13. September 16, 2014
- Eugene and Margaret Triman papers, 1944-1946. September 15, 2014
- John Milford manuscript "Gleanings from the south of Spain in 1846," 1846. September 15, 2014
- The black fortnight, or, The invasion of 1915 September 15, 2014
- The Complete guide to safe sex September 15, 2014
- Sex outcast : the homosexual mystique September 15, 2014
- Shamed she-male. September 15, 2014
- Spectropia; or, Surprising spectral illusions : showing ghosts everywhere, and of any colour September 15, 2014
- Sermon commemorative of the late Thomas Atkinson, D.D., LL.D., Bishop of North Carolina : delivered in Christ Church, Raleigh, before the Convention of North Carolina, May 18, 1881 September 11, 2014
- The officers of a Presbyterian congregation : three sermons preached in the First Presyterian Church of Wilmington, N. C. September 11, 2014
- The tekel of Methodism : history of Episcopal Methodism, in which its claims to being a church of Christ are investigated September 11, 2014
- The First Presbyterian Church, Asheville, N.C., 1794-1951 September 11, 2014
- St. Bartholomew's parish, Pittsboro, N.C., 1833-1933 September 11, 2014