The harsh reality of returning to SC&P has set in for Don in last night’s episode of Mad Men. He arrives at the seemingly empty office to discover the staff listening to the announcement that an IBM 360 computer will be installed in what was the creative lounge. The creative staff grumbles about losing their space. Pete runs into an acquaintance who now works for Burger Chef and gets SC&P a chance to pitch that account. Lou puts Peggy in charge of Burger Chef creative work, with Don reporting to her. Peggy treats Don like an entry level copywriter and he starts behaving badly. Roger and Mona find out that their daughter Margaret has run away to a hippie commune. After her husband fails to get Margaret back, Mona and Roger drive to upstate New York to retrieve her. Once at the commune, Mona storms off quickly, but Roger stays and lets Margaret show him why she loves it there. Roger seems open minded about the commune, but later gets upset and tries to carry her off after she spends the night with one of the men there. After talking to the computer installer, Don suggests that SC&P prepare a presentation to LeaseTech, but Bert refuses. Don starts drinking and later calls Freddie to invite him to a Mets game. The next morning Freddie lectures Don and tells him he is wasting his second chance, advising him to buckle down and work hard. Don seems to get the message and goes to work ready to do what it takes to earn back the trust of his colleagues.
Last night’s episode featured references to Burger Chef, IBM 360, homemade jelly and gin, among other things. Enjoy our selection of highlighted ads that reflect the brands and themes that Mad Men characters interacted with last night.
A gallery of our selected images may also be found on Flickr.
Watch the GI Joe commercial: https://archive.org/details/dmbb23910
Search The Devil’s Tale
Tag Cloud2011acquisitions 2012acquisition 2013acquisition advertisements advertising African American history archives artistsbooks civilwar conservation diaries digitization documentary dorisduke dukehistory durham durhamhistory economists events film fullframe games Haiti Heschel holidays human rights letterhead literature longcivilrights madmen Mad Men madmenmondays medicine movediary move prep movinghom photography recipes renovation rubensteinstaff scrapbooks sports students women's history zines
The Devil’s Tale Archive
- Bill Brown zine collection, 1981-2011. September 23, 2014
- Center for Justice and Accountability records. September 19, 2014
- Linda Gilbert account and scrapbook, 1894. September 18, 2014
- Frederick B. Nightingale stereographs of China, 1920-1921. September 18, 2014
- Lantern slides and art photos produced by the American Colony photographers illustrating Bible lands, 1910s-1940s. September 16, 2014
- Dealing in hate : the development of anti-German propaganda September 29, 2014
- How we smelled and why September 25, 2014
- River of grass September 25, 2014
- Words of Chan K'in : Lacandon jungle. September 25, 2014
- The heart wants what it wants. September 25, 2014
- The Calliopean (Volume v.1:no.1-2 (1887) c.1) October 1, 2014
- To the ministers and sessions of Presbyterian churches in North Carolina : (Volume c.1) October 1, 2014
- The Pantry shelf (Volume c.1) October 1, 2014
- The order of service for the consecration of bishops elected at the Southeastern jurisdictional conf (Volume c.1) October 1, 2014
- Favorite recipes / (Volume c.1) October 1, 2014