The shocking shootings in Kansas City during the past weekend have brought renewed attention to Glenn Miller (Glenn Cross), a longtime white supremacist with ties to North Carolina. In Monday’s Washington Post, Robert Satloff, Trinity College class of 1983, wrote about his harrowing experience interviewing Miller in 1981 and the Chronicle article that resulted.
The first-hand account, from the April 15, 1981 issue of the Aeolus (the Chronicle’s weekly magazine of the period) is a frightening glimpse into Miller’s mindset. Satloff wrote, “Perhaps I didn’t think that such close-minded, violent, intolerant people still exist. Perhaps I am naïve. I’m not anymore.”
Read the chilling article below. This issue of the Aeolus, and other Chronicle issues from 1980 to February 1989, will soon be added to the Libraries’ Chronicle digital collection.
UPDATE: The April 15, 1981 issue is now available in full in our Chronicle digital collection.
Post contributed by Valerie Gillispie, Duke University Archivist.
Search The Devil’s Tale
Tag Cloud2011acquisitions 2012acquisition 2013acquisition advertisements advertising African American history archives artistsbooks civilwar conservation diaries digitization documentary dorisduke dukehistory durham durhamhistory economists events film fullframe games Haiti Heschel holidays human rights letterhead literature longcivilrights madmen Mad Men madmenmondays medicine movediary move prep movinghom photography recipes renovation rubensteinstaff scrapbooks sports students women's history zines
The Devil’s Tale Archive
- Eugene and Margaret Triman papers, 1944-1946. September 15, 2014
- John Milford manuscript "Gleanings from the south of Spain in 1846," 1846. September 15, 2014
- Yahya Jongintaba journals, 2005-2006. September 12, 2014
- Stone Circles records September 9, 2014
- Mattie U. Russell collection on William Faulkner, 1919-1987. September 4, 2014
- The black fortnight, or, The invasion of 1915 September 15, 2014
- The Complete guide to safe sex September 15, 2014
- Sex outcast : the homosexual mystique September 15, 2014
- Shamed she-male. September 15, 2014
- Spectropia; or, Surprising spectral illusions : showing ghosts everywhere, and of any colour September 15, 2014
- The First Presbyterian Church, Asheville, N.C., 1794-1951 September 11, 2014
- St. Bartholomew's parish, Pittsboro, N.C., 1833-1933 September 11, 2014
- St. Luke's Episcopal Church, 1753-1953 September 11, 2014
- Semi-centennial history of First Methodist Church, Forest City, North Carolina, 1889-1939 September 11, 2014
- First Baptist Church, Charlotte, N. C., 1832-1916 September 11, 2014