To celebrate the holiday season this week, we’re highlighting a few of the many wonderful books that the Rubenstein Library has received as gifts over the past year. We are truly grateful for the generosity of our donors. A hearty “Happy holidays” and thanks and to all of those who have contributed to making 2013 a wonderful year for the Rubenstein Library!
A beautiful copy of one of the pinnacles of American literature, the 1854 first edition of Henry David Thoreau’s Walden; or, Life in the Woods, has been donated to the Rubenstein Library by Professor Leland Phelps.
Thoreau’s genre-bending record of his experiment in simple living in the forest by Walden Pond has been an important influence and inspiration for literary scholars, naturalists, environmentalist, philosophers, economists, and many others for over 150 years. While it was immediately recognized as an important work by many of Thoreau’s transcendentalist contemporaries, such as his friend (and owner of the land on which Thoreau Ralph Waldo Emerson, the 2000 copies printed for the first edition took almost five years to sell.
The copy donated by Professor Phelps to Duke was formerly owned by Professor Frederick Whiley Hilles and is in excellent condition, with its original binding and remarkably bright pages. Thanks to this gift, students and scholars at Duke will have the opportunity to experience this iconic text in its original form, nearly as it would have been encountered in 1854, fresh from the press.
Walden is one of the highlights of a large donation by Professor Phelps this year, which also includes other editions of nineteenth- and twentieth-century American literature such as a remarkable collection of William Faulkner’s works (including many first editions), and many important books in art and architecture. We are honored by his support of the Rubenstein Library and thankful for his remarkable donation!
Search The Devil’s Tale
Tag Cloud2011acquisitions 2012acquisition 2013acquisition advertisements advertising African American history artistsbooks civilwar conservation diaries digitization documentary dorisduke dukehistory durhamhistory economists events film fullframe games Heschel holidays human rights letterhead literature longcivilrights Mad Men madmen madmenmondays medicine movediary move prep movinghom oversized photography recipes renovation researchtips rubensteinstaff scrapbooks sports students valentinesday women's history zines
The Devil’s Tale Archive
- Neville Chamberlain letters, 1881-1933.
- George Leveson-Gower Granville, Earl of Granville, letters, 1863-1866.
- Charles Gordon-Lennox, Duke of Richmond, letters and poem, 1831-1854 and undated.
- Lesbians in the Visual Arts collection, 1994-2002 and undated.
- Jim Kobs Collection of Echo Awards Materials, 1966-1997
- Knights of Pythias ceremonies of laying corner-stones and dedicating castle halls March 4, 2014
- Flowers kollektion March 4, 2014
- Flower, fruit and thorn pieces; or, the married life, death, and wedding of the advocate of the poor, Firmian Stanislaus Siebenkäs February 20, 2014
- Neueste vollständige Compositions-Schule : ein theoretisch-praktischer Leitfaden mit zahlreichen Noten-Beispielen zum Unterrichte und zur Selbstbelehrung für Candidaten der Tonsatzlehre : welche sich in diesem Bereiche auf eine gründlich-fassliche Weise und mit vieler Zeitersparniss die erforderlichen Kenntnisse erwerben wollen February 7, 2014
- Im Reiche des Sozialismus : drei Akte Vergangenes, Gegenwärtiges, Künftiges February 7, 2014