Date: October 31, 2013
Time: 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
Location: Perkins Library, Room 217
Contact: Rachel Ingold, 919-684-8549 or rachel.ingold(at)duke.edu
Stop by for a special Halloween “eeeks”-ibit and open house featuring some of the creepiest and most macabre items from the shadowy depths of the Rubenstein Library’s vaults. Will you dare to:
- Gaze in awe at a box full of glass eyeballs?
- Feel your head spin as you read letters describing the case that inspired The Exorcist (from the Parapsychology Laboratory Records)?
- Quoth nevermore after experiencing Gustave Doré’s illustrations for The Raven?
- Steel yourself to view a medieval amputating saw?
- Cackle frightfully at seventeenth-century accounts of witchcraft?
- Sink your teeth into images of vampires, werewolves, the living dead, and Frankenstein’s monster?
These and many other spook-tacular books, photographs, comics, diaries, letters, artifacts, and more will be on display!
Oh, and did we mention that there will be free candy?
Search The Devil’s Tale
Tag Cloud2011acquisitions 2012acquisition 2013acquisition advertisements advertising African American history archives artistsbooks civilwar conservation diaries digitization documentary dorisduke dukehistory durham durhamhistory economists events film fullframe games Haiti Heschel holidays human rights letterhead literature longcivilrights madmen Mad Men madmenmondays medicine movediary move prep movinghom photography recipes renovation rubensteinstaff scrapbooks sports students women's history zines
The Devil’s Tale Archive
- Bill Brown zine collection, 1981-2011. September 23, 2014
- Center for Justice and Accountability records. September 19, 2014
- Linda Gilbert account and scrapbook, 1894. September 18, 2014
- Frederick B. Nightingale stereographs of China, 1920-1921. September 18, 2014
- Lantern slides and art photos produced by the American Colony photographers illustrating Bible lands, 1910s-1940s. September 16, 2014
- Dealing in hate : the development of anti-German propaganda September 29, 2014
- How we smelled and why September 25, 2014
- River of grass September 25, 2014
- Words of Chan K'in : Lacandon jungle. September 25, 2014
- The heart wants what it wants. September 25, 2014
- Methodist expansion in North Carolina after the Revolution / September 30, 2014
- Historical sketch of the Methodist church in Rockingham and surrounding country. September 30, 2014
- Historical markers of interest to the Methodist Church within the bounds of the North Carolina September 30, 2014
- Green Hill September 30, 2014
- Decennial celebration of the organization of Kings Mountain Presbytery, Lincolnton, North Carolina, November 12th, 13th, 1912. September 30, 2014