Mad Men brought us many great moments this season, and so did our weekly search for vintage ads to accompany the episode each Monday morning. In the process, we discovered many visually and thematically interesting advertisements in the 1968 archives that did not fit with the current episode’s themes. We decided to share some of those in two final blogs that were calling our Mad Men Monday Outtakes.
This week’s themes: Fashion and Food! The late 1960s had a distinctive style. We’ve included men’s formal wear and outer wear, women’s fashion and work-a-day outfits, and neon hued slips and bras. The food photography was almost as distinctive, showing processed convenience foods, frozen vegetable, party nibbles, and, of course, the ubiquitous gelatin mold.
Search The Devil’s Tale
Tag Cloud2011acquisitions 2012acquisition 2013acquisition advertisements advertising African American history artistsbooks civilwar comicbooks conservation diaries digitization documentary dorisduke dukehistory durhamhistory economists events film fullframe games halloween holidays human rights letterhead literature longcivilrights Mad Men madmen madmenmondays medicine movediary move prep movinghom photography postcards recipes renovation researchtips rubensteinstaff scrapbooks sports students women's history zines
The Devil’s Tale Archive
- Der Triumph der Philosophie im Achtzehnten Jahrhunderte December 6, 2013
- The citizen's atlas of the world : containing 156 pages of maps and plans, with an index, a gazetteer, and geographical statistics December 3, 2013
- Mis memorias November 25, 2013
- The habits of a well-organized married life November 25, 2013
- Quintus Curtius his History of the wars of Alexander : with a large index November 25, 2013