The riots and politics of the 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago continually weave in and out of Episode 10, through media and discussions. The partners begin discussing changing the agency’s name. Don, Roger, and Harry travel to LA for client presentations, including Carnation. Harry drives Don and Roger to a party in the Hollywood Hills. Starlets and stoned hippies roam poolside. Don is invited to share a hit from a hookah. His hallucination ends with him seeing himself face down in the swimming pool. He comes to on the deck, wet and coughing, with a soaked and out-of-breath Roger telling everyone he’s fine.
At the office, Ginsberg confronts Jim, calling him a fascist. Jim tells Ted they should fire all SCDP staff, beginning with Ginsberg. Jim asks Bob Benson to take Ginsberg to the Manischewitz meeting. Joan’s blind date ends up being with Avon’s new Head of Marketing who is looking for a new agency. She praises the company and picks up the check. Wary of Pete, Joan sets up a lunch meeting with just herself, Avon, and an unknowing Peggy. Ted’s tells Jim Chevy has signed off on their work. Bob interrupts with news Manischewitz has put them in review. Jim rewards Bob for “handling this like a man” with a spot on the Chevy team. Avon sends samples to the agency. Pete blows up, reprimands Joan, and calls Ted in to deliver the final blow. Peggy listens in, and sends in the secretary with a fake note that Avon has called for Joan. Ted gives Joan the go-ahead, over-riding a seething Pete. All partners but Joan meet in Don’s office. Ted shares news of Chevy and Avon, and Cooper reveals Ted and Jim’s suggestion for an agency name: Sterling Cooper & Partners.
Episode 10 referred to Carnation Instant Breakfast, Life Cereal, computers in business, renaming an agency, men wearing ascots, and Schlitz beer, among others. Here is a selection of ads that illustrate some of the products and cultural references mentioned in Sunday night’s Mad Men. A gallery of our highlighted images may also be found on Pinterest and Flickr.
Search The Devil’s Tale
Tag Cloud2011acquisitions 2012acquisition 2013acquisition advertisements advertising African American African American history archives artistsbooks civilwar conservation diaries digitization documentary dorisduke dukehistory durhamhistory economists events film fullframe games Haiti Heschel holidays human rights letterhead literature longcivilrights madmen Mad Men madmenmondays medicine movediary move prep movinghom photography recipes renovation rubensteinstaff scrapbooks sports students women's history zines
The Devil’s Tale Archive
- Jean Kilbourne papers July 23, 2014
- Theater Three Collaborative records, 1970-2014. July 22, 2014
- Williamston, N.C. Civil Rights journal, 1963 November 11-20. July 22, 2014
- Ellsa Lucile Hozman travel diary, 1913 April 29-1913 August 28. July 21, 2014
- Letter, account, and dividend book, 1839-1867 and undated. July 18, 2014
- Das veränderte Russland : in welchem die ietzige verfassung des geist- und weltlichen Regiments : der Krieges-Staat zu Lande und zu Wasser, wahre Zustand der russischen Finantzen, die geöffneten Berg-Wercke, die eingeführte Academien, Künste, Manufacturen, Verordnungen, Geschäffte mit denen asiatischen Nachbaren und Vafallen, nebst der allerneuesten Nachricht von diesen Völckern : die Begebenheiten des Czaergangene, und was sich sonst merckwürdiges in Russland zugetragen, nebst verschiedenen andern bissher unbekandten Rachrichten in einem biss 1720 gehenden Journal vorgestellet werden, mit einer accuraten Land-Carte und Kupfferstichen versehen. July 17, 2014
- L'anatomie pacifique nouvelle et curieuse : conforme à la doctrine d'Hippocrate & de Galien, qui donne les moyens d'accorder les recents avec les anciens, par des experiences nouvelles, principalement touchant les actions du coeur & des poulmons July 17, 2014
- Beytrag zur Geschichte Russlands vom Jahr 1727 bis 1744 : nebst einem Anhange über die damalige Beschaffenheit des Kriegs- des Seewesens, des Handels, der Academie &c. &c. : mit Charten und Planen : aus einer franzöisischen Handschrift. July 17, 2014
- Rhyme? and reason? July 14, 2014
- Now we are six July 14, 2014
- The Baptist preacher (Volume v.9(1850) c.1) July 21, 2014
- The Baptist preacher (Volume v.6 no.6-7 11 (1847:June-July Nov.) c.1) July 21, 2014
- The Baptist preacher (Volume v.4 no.9-10 (1845:Sept.-Oct.) c.1) July 21, 2014
- The Baptist preacher (Volume v.4 no.6-7 (1845:June-July) c.1) July 21, 2014
- The Baptist preacher (Volume v.3(1844) c.1) July 21, 2014