After a month of intensive activity, the largest and most complicated phase of the Rubenstein Library move wrapped up, and we bid farewell to William B. Meyer, our wonderful library movers, on Feb 12. In the 24 days that these 15 movers were onsite they relocated more than 30,000 linear feet of rare books, manuscript collections, university archives, pamphlets, and other material to both our temporary library and the Library Service Center.
We are excited to report that we have a considerable amount of our collection up in our new home on the 3rd floor of Perkins:
- 17,600 linear feet of books, manuscripts, university archives and other collections
- 39 map cabinets
- 4-volume, double-elephant edition of Audubon
The movers transported 836 large blue trucks of material to our offsite Library Service Center!
- The team at LSC has already ingested 148,727 items! Thank you LSC team!!
Please note that due to the HUGE amount of material sent to LSC, some items are still being processed into their system. As such, it may take longer than usual for some materials to be pulled.. Researchers are encouraged to contact the Rubenstein Library to confirm that their collections have arrived before coming to the reading room. Please call the Rubenstein Library at 919.660.5822 or send us a message. Thank you to all our patrons, researchers, colleagues, friends and fans for their continued patience and support as we finalize the Rubenstein Library move!
But that’s not all!
Although one phase of the move is complete, there is still plenty of work and moving to be done between now and the start of the Rubenstein Library Renovation. We are still prepping our newspaper collection for transport to LSC, and we still need to move the art collection, including the portraits in the Gothic Reading Room. Stay tuned for more updates as we complete these projects.
Last but not least, you can always relive the exciting events from the last 6 weeks anytime on our blog: http://blogs.library.duke.edu/rubenstein/tag/movediary/
Post contributed by Molly Bragg, Collection Move Coordinator.
Search The Devil’s Tale
Tag Cloud2011acquisitions 2012acquisition 2013acquisition advertisements advertising African American history archives artistsbooks civilwar conservation diaries digitization documentary dorisduke dukehistory durham durhamhistory economists events film fullframe games Haiti Heschel holidays human rights letterhead literature longcivilrights madmen Mad Men madmenmondays medicine movediary move prep movinghom photography recipes renovation rubensteinstaff scrapbooks sports students women's history zines
The Devil’s Tale Archive
- Marcel Montassut papers, 1914-1975. August 21, 2014
- Bengal Chamber of Commerce letter of gratitude to Daniel Mackinlay upon his retirement, 1860 February 21. August 21, 2014
- John Symonds Breedon diaries and account books, 1736-1808. August 18, 2014
- Rosina Lyon letters, 1846-1849. August 15, 2014
- H. C. Kisner papers, 1857-1922 and undated. August 13, 2014
- Walden; or, Life in the woods August 22, 2014
- Precationes ex veteribus orthodoxis doctoribus : ex ecclesiae hymnis et canticis, ex Psalmis denique Dauidis collectae, et nunc recens recognitae & auctae August 8, 2014
- The danger of premature interment : proved from many remarkable instances of people who have recovered after being laid out for dead, and of others entombed alive, for want of being properly examined prior to interment : also a description of the manner the ancient Egyptians, and other nations preserved and venerated their dead, and a curious account of their sepulchral ever burning lamps and mausoleums : likewise, the pernicious effects of burying in the body churches, and confined church-yards pointed out, whereby many valuable lives have been lost to the public, and their friends : selected from historical records August 7, 2014
- Conseils aux femmes de quarante ans August 7, 2014
- North Carolina Baptist interpreter (Volume v.1-2(1833-1834) c.1) August 21, 2014
- The Anchor (Volume c.1) August 21, 2014
- The Arminian magazine (Volume v.2 (1790) c.1) August 21, 2014
- The Methodist (Volume c.1) August 21, 2014
- Bericht der Verrichtungen w?�hrend des Synody des Lutherischen Ministeriums : (Volume c.1) August 15, 2014