After a month of intensive activity, the largest and most complicated phase of the Rubenstein Library move wrapped up, and we bid farewell to William B. Meyer, our wonderful library movers, on Feb 12. In the 24 days that these 15 movers were onsite they relocated more than 30,000 linear feet of rare books, manuscript collections, university archives, pamphlets, and other material to both our temporary library and the Library Service Center.
We are excited to report that we have a considerable amount of our collection up in our new home on the 3rd floor of Perkins:
- 17,600 linear feet of books, manuscripts, university archives and other collections
- 39 map cabinets
- 4-volume, double-elephant edition of Audubon
The movers transported 836 large blue trucks of material to our offsite Library Service Center!
- The team at LSC has already ingested 148,727 items! Thank you LSC team!!
Please note that due to the HUGE amount of material sent to LSC, some items are still being processed into their system. As such, it may take longer than usual for some materials to be pulled.. Researchers are encouraged to contact the Rubenstein Library to confirm that their collections have arrived before coming to the reading room. Please call the Rubenstein Library at 919.660.5822 or send us a message. Thank you to all our patrons, researchers, colleagues, friends and fans for their continued patience and support as we finalize the Rubenstein Library move!
But that’s not all!
Although one phase of the move is complete, there is still plenty of work and moving to be done between now and the start of the Rubenstein Library Renovation. We are still prepping our newspaper collection for transport to LSC, and we still need to move the art collection, including the portraits in the Gothic Reading Room. Stay tuned for more updates as we complete these projects.
Last but not least, you can always relive the exciting events from the last 6 weeks anytime on our blog: http://blogs.library.duke.edu/rubenstein/tag/movediary/
Post contributed by Molly Bragg, Collection Move Coordinator.
Search The Devil’s Tale
Tag Cloud2011acquisitions 2012acquisition 2013acquisition advertisements advertising African American history artistsbooks civilwar conservation diaries digitization documentary dorisduke dukehistory durhamhistory economists events film fullframe games Heschel holidays human rights letterhead literature longcivilrights Mad Men madmen madmenmondays medicine movediary move prep movinghom oversized photography recipes renovation researchtips rubensteinstaff scrapbooks sports students valentinesday women's history zines
The Devil’s Tale Archive
- Knights of Pythias ceremonies of laying corner-stones and dedicating castle halls March 4, 2014
- Flowers kollektion March 4, 2014
- Flower, fruit and thorn pieces; or, the married life, death, and wedding of the advocate of the poor, Firmian Stanislaus Siebenkäs February 20, 2014
- Neueste vollständige Compositions-Schule : ein theoretisch-praktischer Leitfaden mit zahlreichen Noten-Beispielen zum Unterrichte und zur Selbstbelehrung für Candidaten der Tonsatzlehre : welche sich in diesem Bereiche auf eine gründlich-fassliche Weise und mit vieler Zeitersparniss die erforderlichen Kenntnisse erwerben wollen February 7, 2014
- Im Reiche des Sozialismus : drei Akte Vergangenes, Gegenwärtiges, Künftiges February 7, 2014