In 2013, Duke will mark 50 years since the desegregation of the undergraduate student body. The campus-wide theme, “Celebrating the Past, Charting the Future: Commemorating 50 Years of Black Students at Duke University” will be woven into annual events, like commencement, reunion, and Founder’s Day, and will also be a topic of reflection through exhibits, speakers, and service opportunities. Working together across the University, this milestone year offers all of us the opportunity to learn more about Duke’s history.
The University Archives has a rich photographic collection, and we have added a number of photos on Flickr as part of the anniversary celebration. They show us moments of protest and performance, as well as celebration. The photographs are featured on a new website dedicated to this fiftieth anniversary commemoration.
The University Archives contains many collections that provide historical context and primary source documentation on the desegregation of the school, the black student experience at Duke, and much more. Interested in diving in? A new guide to conducting research on African-American history at Duke is now available, and the UA staff is glad to consult on particular questions or projects. (Contact us here!)
Post contributed by Val Gillispie, University Archivist.
Search The Devil’s Tale
Tag Cloud2011acquisitions 2012acquisition 2013acquisition advertisements advertising African American history archives artistsbooks civilwar conservation diaries digitization documentary dorisduke dukehistory durham durhamhistory economists events film fullframe games Haiti Heschel holidays human rights letterhead literature longcivilrights madmen Mad Men madmenmondays medicine movediary move prep movinghom photography recipes renovation rubensteinstaff scrapbooks sports students women's history zines
The Devil’s Tale Archive
- Yahya Jongintaba journals, 2005-2006. September 12, 2014
- Stone Circles records September 9, 2014
- Mattie U. Russell collection on William Faulkner, 1919-1987. September 4, 2014
- Early Essays of Poetry, 1849-1869. September 2, 2014
- Internationalist Books and Community Center records, 1960s-2011. August 26, 2014
- Opusculum Raymundinum de auditu kabbalistico siue ad omnes scientias introductorium : incipit libellus de kabbalistico auditu in via Raymundi Lulli. September 3, 2014
- Toad of Toad Hall : a play from Kenneth Grahame's book 'The wind in the willows' September 3, 2014
- The young lady's oracle : a fireside amusement. September 2, 2014
- Apatsʻoytsʻkʻ krōnitsʻ : tghotsʻ ew astuatsabanutʻean antegheak eghoghnerun hamar September 2, 2014
- The dollar : from death to birth September 2, 2014
- The First Presbyterian Church, Asheville, N.C., 1794-1951 September 11, 2014
- St. Bartholomew's parish, Pittsboro, N.C., 1833-1933 September 11, 2014
- St. Luke's Episcopal Church, 1753-1953 September 11, 2014
- Semi-centennial history of First Methodist Church, Forest City, North Carolina, 1889-1939 September 11, 2014
- First Baptist Church, Charlotte, N. C., 1832-1916 September 11, 2014