In the end, we created 32 record groups to represent the history, the administrative departments, and the schools of Duke University. Each group speaks to the breadth of material that tells the story of Duke University and its distinguished alums. While going through each record, and carefully determining its placement in the records groups, I uncovered some fascinating collections. Here are some of my favorites:
1. Sarah P. Duke Gardens Records, 1932-2002. The Duke Gardens is a horticulturist’s sanctuary. As a garden hobbyist, I have enjoyed spending time marveling over its beautiful design of plant life and winding paths. This collection shows the vision of the gardens from the beginning when Mary Duke Biddle donated the land in 1932. Included are blueprints and planting plans that any gardener would relish viewing first hand.
2. Randall Frattini Papers, 1974. University Archives has a copy of Frattini’s eyewitness account of students streaking on campus on the nights of February 28 and March 1, 1974. Albeit comical, this collection also suggests the wide variety of records that document student life at Duke in the Duke University Archives’ collections.
3. Elizabeth Hatcher Conner Photograph Collection. Elizabeth Hatcher Conner attended the Woman’s College during the late 1930s. During that time, she was an active photographer and she often documented the outdoor adventures of the Explorer’s Club. The Explorer’s Club was a group of faculty and students who use to go hiking throughout North Carolina. Her photos give a glimpse into the lives of students at Duke during this time period. Check out some of her photographs on our Flickr site!
These three collections only scratch the surface of the hundreds of records documenting the institutional memory of the University. If you are interested in learning more about the University’s history including a particular school, student life, or athletics; contact University Archives and they can help you uncover your own record gems.
Post contributed by Ashley Brown, William E. King intern at the Duke University Archives.
Search The Devil’s Tale
Tag Cloud2011acquisitions 2012acquisition 2013acquisition advertisements advertising African American history artistsbooks civilwar conservation diaries digitization documentary dorisduke dukehistory durhamhistory economists events film fullframe games Heschel holidays human rights letterhead literature longcivilrights Mad Men madmen madmenmondays medicine movediary move prep movinghom oversized photography recipes renovation researchtips rubensteinstaff scrapbooks sports students valentinesday women's history zines
The Devil’s Tale Archive
- Knights of Pythias ceremonies of laying corner-stones and dedicating castle halls March 4, 2014
- Flowers kollektion March 4, 2014
- Flower, fruit and thorn pieces; or, the married life, death, and wedding of the advocate of the poor, Firmian Stanislaus Siebenkäs February 20, 2014
- Neueste vollständige Compositions-Schule : ein theoretisch-praktischer Leitfaden mit zahlreichen Noten-Beispielen zum Unterrichte und zur Selbstbelehrung für Candidaten der Tonsatzlehre : welche sich in diesem Bereiche auf eine gründlich-fassliche Weise und mit vieler Zeitersparniss die erforderlichen Kenntnisse erwerben wollen February 7, 2014
- Im Reiche des Sozialismus : drei Akte Vergangenes, Gegenwärtiges, Künftiges February 7, 2014