- Did you know that Duke hosted the only Rose Bowl played outside of Pasadena, CA?
- Did you know that Duke chemistry students and professors created special bullets for training soldiers?
- Did you know that Duke women played a pivotal role in wartime service and morale-raising?
- Did you know that the Tarheels once liked the Blue Devils so much they were willing to loan them their football bleachers?
You can learn more about all these things (and even more!) by visiting “From Campus to Cockpit: Duke during World War II,” currently on display in the hallway cases outside the Rare Book Room.
The exhibit documents the academic, military, and humanitarian accomplishments of the Duke University community during World War II. Photographs, papers, artifacts, and archival film footage tell the story of the university’s spirited efforts to support the nation during a turbulent time of war—including hosting the 1942 Rose Bowl, expanding the possibilities for women in the academic realm, and cooperating with the city of Durham to host fundraising events.
Highlights of the exhibition include images of the first women engineering students at Duke, an original 1942 Rose Bowl ticket, a Red Cross bandage, memorabilia from “Rose Bowl Week” in Durham, and a variety of 1940’s-era military patches and insignia.
If you can’t stop by the display, you can also see many of the artifacts—along with Rose Bowl game footage, bonus materials and research resources—in our online exhibition.
Post contributed by exhibit curators Rosemary K. J. Davis, Isobel Craven Drill Intern, and Jessica Wood, William E. King Reference Intern.
Search The Devil’s Tale
Tag Cloud2011acquisitions 2012acquisition 2013acquisition advertisements advertising African American history archives artistsbooks civilwar conservation diaries digitization documentary dorisduke dukehistory durham durhamhistory economists events film fullframe games Haiti Heschel holidays human rights letterhead literature longcivilrights madmen Mad Men madmenmondays medicine movediary move prep movinghom photography recipes renovation rubensteinstaff scrapbooks sports students women's history zines
The Devil’s Tale Archive
- Yahya Jongintaba journals, 2005-2006. September 12, 2014
- Stone Circles records September 9, 2014
- Mattie U. Russell collection on William Faulkner, 1919-1987. September 4, 2014
- Early Essays of Poetry, 1849-1869. September 2, 2014
- Internationalist Books and Community Center records, 1960s-2011. August 26, 2014
- Opusculum Raymundinum de auditu kabbalistico siue ad omnes scientias introductorium : incipit libellus de kabbalistico auditu in via Raymundi Lulli. September 3, 2014
- Toad of Toad Hall : a play from Kenneth Grahame's book 'The wind in the willows' September 3, 2014
- The young lady's oracle : a fireside amusement. September 2, 2014
- Apatsʻoytsʻkʻ krōnitsʻ : tghotsʻ ew astuatsabanutʻean antegheak eghoghnerun hamar September 2, 2014
- The dollar : from death to birth September 2, 2014
- The First Presbyterian Church, Asheville, N.C., 1794-1951 September 11, 2014
- St. Bartholomew's parish, Pittsboro, N.C., 1833-1933 September 11, 2014
- St. Luke's Episcopal Church, 1753-1953 September 11, 2014
- Semi-centennial history of First Methodist Church, Forest City, North Carolina, 1889-1939 September 11, 2014
- First Baptist Church, Charlotte, N. C., 1832-1916 September 11, 2014