Date: Monday, October 17, 2011
Time: 6:00 PM
Location: Rare Book Room
Contact Information: Jennifer Thompson, 919-660-5922 or jennifer2.thompson(at)duke.edu
Please join the staff of the John Hope Franklin Research Center for African and African American History and Culture for a program entitled “Nelson Mandela and a Centering of Memory,” with Verne Harris, Head of the Memory Programme at the Nelson Mandela Foundation’s Centre of Memory and Dialogue. A reception will follow.
Verne Harris has been Nelson Mandela’s archivist since 2004. As Head of the Centre of Memory, he has been the project leader on several publications about Nelson Mandela’s life: Nelson Mandela: Conversations with Myself (Macmillan, Johannesburg, 2010); Nelson Mandela: The Authorised Comic Book (Jonathan Ball, Johannesburg and Cape Town, 2008); and A Prisoner in the Garden: Opening Nelson Mandela’s Prison Archive (Penguin, Cape Town, 2005). He has also written about and presented on a number of topics concerning archives, records management and freedom of information in South Africa.
Verne Harris’ visit to Duke is co-sponsored by the Franklin Humanities Institute, where he will also be speaking on archives and justice on Tuesday, October 18th. Please find more information on this event at http://www.fhi.duke.edu/events/verne-harris-seminar.
Post contributed by Jennifer Thompson, John Hope Franklin Research Center Librarian.
Search The Devil’s Tale
Tag Cloud2011acquisitions 2012acquisition 2013acquisition advertisements advertising African American history archives artistsbooks civilwar conservation diaries digitization documentary dorisduke dukehistory durham durhamhistory economists events film fullframe games Haiti Heschel holidays human rights letterhead literature longcivilrights madmen Mad Men madmenmondays medicine movediary move prep movinghom photography recipes renovation rubensteinstaff scrapbooks sports students women's history zines
The Devil’s Tale Archive
- William C. Hall papers, 1873-1876 and undated. October 17, 2014
- Dainty-Maid product brochures, 1947,1953 and undated. October 16, 2014
- Noma Lee Goodwin congressional letters on price controls, 1946. October 15, 2014
- Ernest F. Hollings senatorial report to South Carolina 1968 May 7. October 14, 2014
- Works Progress Administration of Virginia notes for a Virginia tourist guide, 1936-1937 and undated. October 14, 2014
- Ricordo di Roma : 48 vedute October 16, 2014
- Manures, how to make and how to use them : a new, practical treatise on the chemistry of manures and manure-making October 16, 2014
- La photographie judiciaire October 15, 2014
- The last bizarre tale : stories October 14, 2014
- Tell the world you're a wildflower : stories October 14, 2014
- Dr. Bate's true marriage guide : (Volume c.1) October 20, 2014
- The Lonsdale magazine, or, Provincial repository (Volume v.2(1821) c.1) October 20, 2014
- Abrégé de l'art des accouchements, dans lequel on donne les preceptes necessaires pour le mettre h (Volume c.1) October 20, 2014
- From slave cabin to the pulpit; (Volume c.1) October 20, 2014
- Egypt and the Soudan : (Volume c.1) October 20, 2014