The North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Company Archives (collection guide here), now available for research at the RBMSCL and North Carolina Central University’s University Archives, Records and History Center, contains nearly 100,000 items documenting more than a century of service for this prominent African American business.
This archives include corporate office files, annual statements, reports, surveys, memos, legal and financial papers, training material, programs, memorabilia, and an exceptional number of historical photographs of staff and their families, offices, buildings, and Durham scenes (including a visit from Booker T. Washington).
The collection offers a window into the inner workings of the company, the legacy of Durham’s Black Wall Street, and over a century’s worth of community and organization building. The archivists and librarians of both institutions are looking forward to the scholarship that will result from the use of the North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Company Archives.
Over one hundred selected digitized images, like the one above, as well as several historical documents, are also currently available in an online exhibit.
Researchers wishing to use the North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Company Archives should note that the entire collection is stored in our off-site storage facility. Please contact the University Archives, Records and History Center at North Carolina Central University or the RBMSCL (“Ask a Question” website) at Duke University at least 48 hours before your visit so that staff can request the material you would like to see.
For more information about the North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Company Archives, check out the Duke University Libraries’ press release.
Post contributed by Jennifer Thompson, John Hope Franklin Research Center Librarian.
Search The Devil’s Tale
Tag Cloud2011acquisitions 2012acquisition 2013acquisition advertisements advertising African American history archives artistsbooks civilwar conservation diaries digitization documentary dorisduke dukehistory durham durhamhistory economists events film fullframe games Haiti Heschel holidays human rights letterhead literature longcivilrights madmen Mad Men madmenmondays medicine movediary move prep movinghom photography recipes renovation rubensteinstaff scrapbooks sports students women's history zines
The Devil’s Tale Archive
- Eugene and Margaret Triman papers, 1944-1946. September 15, 2014
- John Milford manuscript "Gleanings from the south of Spain in 1846," 1846. September 15, 2014
- Yahya Jongintaba journals, 2005-2006. September 12, 2014
- Stone Circles records September 9, 2014
- Mattie U. Russell collection on William Faulkner, 1919-1987. September 4, 2014
- The black fortnight, or, The invasion of 1915 September 15, 2014
- The Complete guide to safe sex September 15, 2014
- Sex outcast : the homosexual mystique September 15, 2014
- Shamed she-male. September 15, 2014
- Spectropia; or, Surprising spectral illusions : showing ghosts everywhere, and of any colour September 15, 2014
- Summary by Frank P. Graham of his written and spoken statements on the case of the Chapel Hill Presbyterian Church, late 1952 and early 1953 September 11, 2014
- The church in the wilderness; North Carolina Quakerism as seen by visitors. The historical lecture delivered at the two hundred and fifty-first session of North Carolina yearly meeting, eighth month, the fourth, 1948 September 11, 2014
- The fiftieth anniversary of the ordination to the priesthood of the Right Reverend Theodore Benedict Lyman September 11, 2014
- Sermon commemorative of the late Thomas Atkinson, D.D., LL.D., Bishop of North Carolina : delivered in Christ Church, Raleigh, before the Convention of North Carolina, May 18, 1881 September 11, 2014
- The officers of a Presbyterian congregation : three sermons preached in the First Presyterian Church of Wilmington, N. C. September 11, 2014