Here at the RBMSCL, we’re celebrating this first week of classes by taking a closer look at a few of the wonderful student (undergraduate and graduate, Duke and non-Duke) employees who help make this place run. We wouldn’t know what to do without them, and we’d have a lot less fun, too. Thanks, y’all!
I still remember how excited I got in September of 2010 during a seminar given by a professor and a graduate student on their work in the Economists Papers Project collections at the RBMSCL. After a couple of meetings with Bruce Caldwell, director of the Center for the History of Political Economy at Duke, I was told that I would be working at the RBMSCL on the Paul Samuelson Papers. Fast-forwarding through a couple of hectic semesters, I started working on the papers in the first week of July. Mark Wilson, an associate professor from University of West Virginia, would work alongside me during this time.
I spent the first week familiarizing myself with the collection and reading through bits and pieces of Samuelson’s extensive work. From then onwards, I focused on the Unpublished Writings Series, 26 boxes of papers, notes and fragments, and informal correspondence on an amazing variety of topics that were never published. I worked on it for almost five weeks, organizing all the papers into categories, arranging them alphabetically and chronologically, and providing an overall description of the series to aid researchers.
One of the highlights of working on this series was that I found out that Samuelson wrote extensively on topics outside of economics. His writings on thermodynamics, mathematics, and population and sex ratios were extremely impressive. While organizing the correspondence boxes, I noticed that Professor Samuelson interacted frequently with Robert Solow, Franco Modigliani, and Robert Merton—all Nobel laureates after him—and I found out that all three of them have their papers at the RBMSCL, too! After spending the last ten days or so consolidating the boxes and updating the online finding aid, I finally shipped off a massive collection of 158 boxes to the Library Service Center, where it joins the rest of amazing archival collection that is the Economists Papers Project.
Post contributed by Muhammad Shehryar, M.A. student in Duke’s Department of Economics and graduate student employee with the RBMSCL’s Technical Services Department.
Search The Devil’s Tale
Tag Cloud2011acquisitions 2012acquisition 2013acquisition advertisements advertising African American African American history archives artistsbooks civilwar conservation diaries digitization documentary dorisduke dukehistory durhamhistory economists events film fullframe games Haiti Heschel holidays human rights letterhead literature longcivilrights madmen Mad Men madmenmondays medicine movediary move prep movinghom photography recipes renovation rubensteinstaff scrapbooks sports students women's history zines
The Devil’s Tale Archive
- Jean Kilbourne papers July 23, 2014
- Williamston, N.C. Civil Rights journal, 1963 November 11-20. July 22, 2014
- Theater Three Collaborative records, 1970-2014. July 22, 2014
- Ellsa Lucile Hozman travel diary, 1913 April 29-1913 August 28. July 21, 2014
- Letter, account, and dividend book, 1839-1867 and undated. July 18, 2014
- Das veränderte Russland : in welchem die ietzige verfassung des geist- und weltlichen Regiments : der Krieges-Staat zu Lande und zu Wasser, wahre Zustand der russischen Finantzen, die geöffneten Berg-Wercke, die eingeführte Academien, Künste, Manufacturen, Verordnungen, Geschäffte mit denen asiatischen Nachbaren und Vafallen, nebst der allerneuesten Nachricht von diesen Völckern : die Begebenheiten des Czaergangene, und was sich sonst merckwürdiges in Russland zugetragen, nebst verschiedenen andern bissher unbekandten Rachrichten in einem biss 1720 gehenden Journal vorgestellet werden, mit einer accuraten Land-Carte und Kupfferstichen versehen. July 17, 2014
- L'anatomie pacifique nouvelle et curieuse : conforme à la doctrine d'Hippocrate & de Galien, qui donne les moyens d'accorder les recents avec les anciens, par des experiences nouvelles, principalement touchant les actions du coeur & des poulmons July 17, 2014
- Beytrag zur Geschichte Russlands vom Jahr 1727 bis 1744 : nebst einem Anhange über die damalige Beschaffenheit des Kriegs- des Seewesens, des Handels, der Academie &c. &c. : mit Charten und Planen : aus einer franzöisischen Handschrift. July 17, 2014
- Rhyme? and reason? July 14, 2014
- Now we are six July 14, 2014
- Rules of the Palmetto Rifleman. Founded on the 1. February, 1858. Rules revised on the 12. July, 1859 July 28, 2014
- The Southern Methodist pulpit (Volume v.4:no.8 c.1) July 21, 2014
- The Southern Methodist pulpit (Volume v.4:no.6 c.1) July 21, 2014
- The Southern Methodist pulpit (Volume v.4:no.5 c.1) July 21, 2014
- The Southern Methodist pulpit (Volume v.4:no.3/4 c.1) July 21, 2014