We have a new name!
David M. Rubenstein (T ’70) has pledged $13.6 million to the Duke Libraries in support of the RBMSCL—the largest gift in the Duke Libraries’ history. In recognition of this historic commitment, we are pleased to announce that we will become the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, following approval by the Board of Trustees. (Here’s the official press release.)
Our director, Naomi Nelson, is excited about what this gift means for Duke. “David Rubenstein’s generous gift gives this world-class library a very distinguished name. We couldn’t be more thrilled. His support will allow us to move forward rapidly with renovation plans to transform Duke’s historic library buildings into a proper home for the Rubenstein Library. We will be able to welcome more classes, better serve local and international researchers, and host a greater number and variety of public programs. What makes this gift particularly special is that David Rubenstein once worked as a student in the very stacks we will be renovating. We are extremely grateful for his vision and for his continued commitment to Duke.”
David Rubenstein is the co-founder and managing director of the Carlyle Group, a private equity firm with 36 offices around the world. A native of Baltimore, he graduated magna cum laude from Duke and was elected Phi Beta Kappa. In 2003, he was elected to the Duke Board of Trustees, and he currently serves as the Board’s vice-chair. His gift to the Duke Libraries is part of his larger commitment to philanthropy. He serves on many boards, including those of the Lincoln Center, the Smithsonian, and the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. His largest previous gifts to Duke supported the growth of the Sanford School of Public Policy. Rubenstein and his wife, Alice Rogoff Rubenstein, have three grown children.
You may have seen the news stories covering Rubenstein’s purchase of the Magna Carta and his decision to loan this historic document to the National Archives so that it could be shared with the public. This was one of several seminal historical documents that he has purchased over the years to share with the American people. (See, for example, this profile in Duke Magazine. ).
We look forward to welcoming you to the new David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library. We’ll post updates about the renovation plans here on The Devil’s Tale, so watch this space. We have already started planning for the grand reopening in early 2015!
Search The Devil’s Tale
Tag Cloud2011acquisitions 2012acquisition 2013acquisition advertisements advertising African American African American history archives artistsbooks civilwar conservation diaries digitization documentary dorisduke dukehistory durhamhistory economists events film fullframe games Haiti Heschel holidays human rights letterhead literature longcivilrights madmen Mad Men madmenmondays medicine movediary move prep movinghom photography recipes renovation rubensteinstaff scrapbooks sports students women's history zines
The Devil’s Tale Archive
- Jean Kilbourne papers July 23, 2014
- Williamston, N.C. Civil Rights journal, 1963 November 11-20. July 22, 2014
- Theater Three Collaborative records, 1970-2014. July 22, 2014
- Ellsa Lucile Hozman travel diary, 1913 April 29-1913 August 28. July 21, 2014
- Letter, account, and dividend book, 1839-1867 and undated. July 18, 2014
- Das veränderte Russland : in welchem die ietzige verfassung des geist- und weltlichen Regiments : der Krieges-Staat zu Lande und zu Wasser, wahre Zustand der russischen Finantzen, die geöffneten Berg-Wercke, die eingeführte Academien, Künste, Manufacturen, Verordnungen, Geschäffte mit denen asiatischen Nachbaren und Vafallen, nebst der allerneuesten Nachricht von diesen Völckern : die Begebenheiten des Czaergangene, und was sich sonst merckwürdiges in Russland zugetragen, nebst verschiedenen andern bissher unbekandten Rachrichten in einem biss 1720 gehenden Journal vorgestellet werden, mit einer accuraten Land-Carte und Kupfferstichen versehen. July 17, 2014
- L'anatomie pacifique nouvelle et curieuse : conforme à la doctrine d'Hippocrate & de Galien, qui donne les moyens d'accorder les recents avec les anciens, par des experiences nouvelles, principalement touchant les actions du coeur & des poulmons July 17, 2014
- Beytrag zur Geschichte Russlands vom Jahr 1727 bis 1744 : nebst einem Anhange über die damalige Beschaffenheit des Kriegs- des Seewesens, des Handels, der Academie &c. &c. : mit Charten und Planen : aus einer franzöisischen Handschrift. July 17, 2014
- Rhyme? and reason? July 14, 2014
- Now we are six July 14, 2014
- Rules of the Palmetto Rifleman. Founded on the 1. February, 1858. Rules revised on the 12. July, 1859 July 28, 2014
- The Southern Methodist pulpit (Volume v.4:no.8 c.1) July 21, 2014
- The Southern Methodist pulpit (Volume v.4:no.6 c.1) July 21, 2014
- The Southern Methodist pulpit (Volume v.4:no.5 c.1) July 21, 2014
- The Southern Methodist pulpit (Volume v.4:no.3/4 c.1) July 21, 2014