The press dubbed Doris Duke “the richest girl in the world” when she inherited a fortune from her father, Duke University founder James B. Duke, in 1925 at the age of twelve. Upon her death in 1993, Duke left the majority of her estate to the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation. The Foundation recently gave its historical archives to the RBMSCL. The Foundation’s historical archives, 800 linear feet of materials (an amount that, stacked vertically, would be four times taller than the Duke Chapel), includes photographs, architectural drawings, and motion picture footage of Doris Duke and the Duke family.
Records of Duke’s Foundation for Southeast Asian Art and Culture, the Newport Restoration Foundation, and the Duke Gardens Foundation are in the archives as are documents related to the operation of her properties: Duke Farms, a 2,700-acre estate in Hillsborough, New Jersey, that her father created at the turn of the 20th century; Rough Point, the Duke family mansion in Newport, Rhode Island; and Shangri La, her home in Honolulu, Hawaii, where she exhibited her extensive collection of Islamic art.
All of the materials in the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation historical archives will be open for research in about two years when processing of the materials has been completed.
Post contributed by Tim Pyatt, University Archivist and Associate Director of the RBMSCL.
Search The Devil’s Tale
Tag Cloud2011acquisitions 2012acquisition 2013acquisition advertisements advertising African American history archives artistsbooks civilwar conservation diaries digitization documentary dorisduke dukehistory durham durhamhistory economists events film fullframe games Haiti Heschel holidays human rights letterhead literature longcivilrights madmen Mad Men madmenmondays medicine movediary move prep movinghom photography recipes renovation rubensteinstaff scrapbooks sports students women's history zines
The Devil’s Tale Archive
- William C. Hall papers, 1873-1876 and undated. October 17, 2014
- Dainty-Maid product brochures, 1947,1953 and undated. October 16, 2014
- Noma Lee Goodwin congressional letters on price controls, 1946. October 15, 2014
- Ernest F. Hollings senatorial report to South Carolina 1968 May 7. October 14, 2014
- Works Progress Administration of Virginia notes for a Virginia tourist guide, 1936-1937 and undated. October 14, 2014
- Ricordo di Roma : 48 vedute October 16, 2014
- Manures, how to make and how to use them : a new, practical treatise on the chemistry of manures and manure-making October 16, 2014
- La photographie judiciaire October 15, 2014
- The last bizarre tale : stories October 14, 2014
- Tell the world you're a wildflower : stories October 14, 2014
- The Stork family in the Lutheran Church : or biographical sketches of Rev. Charles Augustus Gottlieb Stork, Rev. Theophilus Stork, D. D., and Rev. Charles A. Stork, D. D. October 17, 2014
- The Christian's faith a rational assent : in answer to a pamphlet, entituled, Christianity not founded on argument, &c. October 15, 2014
- The military services of Maj.-Gen. Ambrose Everett Burnside in the Civil War, and their value as an asset of his country and its history October 15, 2014
- Antony and Cleopatra: : a tragedy. As it is acted at the Dukes theatre. October 15, 2014
- A sermon on the church : delivered before the annual convention of the Protestant Episcopal Church of N.C. October 15, 2014