The start of the fall semester is almost upon us, and Duke is gearing up to welcome thousands of students back to campus. Meanwhile, the renovation of the Rubenstein Library has reached another milestone: we’re only ONE YEAR AWAY from the re-opening! All around the foundation of the building, waterproofing work is being completed, and passersby may notice that the attractive row of windows on the south side of the building (closest to Duke Chapel) is now much more visible due to the removal of several trees (an unavoidable consequence of the foundation waterproofing process).
PLANNED ELECTRICAL OUTAGE: On Friday, August 15, from 7:00 to 8:00 p.m., there will be a brief electrical shutdown in Perkins and Bostock Libraries to install a new breaker in the Rubenstein Library main electrical room. The outage will be brief.
Meanwhile, progress continues on the renovation of the first floor of Bostock Library (a new research commons space recently named The Edge), and is scheduled to be complete later this year.
More photos: More images of the Rubenstein Library renovation are available on our Flickr site, where we will be documenting our progress in pictures through the summer of 2015.
Free earplugs are available at the Perkins Library Service Desk on the first floor for library users who are bothered by the renovation noise. We thank you for supporting our progress and apologize for any inconvenience.
Here is a complete list of the work being done in the next two weeks.
Rubenstein Library Renovation Work (Aug. 15-29)
1. Interior wall framing continues
2. Wall and overhead interior roughing-in continues
3. Electrical main conductor will be replaced on Aug. 15 (see note above)
4. Foundation waterproofing will be completed
5. Foundation backfill will be completed
6. 1948 Tower window removal and replacement
7. Roof tile replacement continues at West elevation
8. Mechanical penthouse ductwork will be installed, tested, and insulated
9. New main stair will begin installation
10. Interior air / vapor barrier work continues
11. Gothic Reading Room ceiling insulation begins
In order to make all members of the Duke community aware of the major activities and potential noise issues associated with the Rubenstein Library renovation, we will be posting regular announcements of upcoming renovation work on this blog. If you have questions, please contact Aaron Welborn, Director of Communications, at 919-660-5816, or email@example.com.
Search the Rubenstein Renovation Blog
- Rubenstein Library Renovation Update: Oct. 27-Nov. 7 October 29, 2014
- Rubenstein Library Renovation Update: Oct. 2-14 October 7, 2014
- Rubenstein Library Renovation Update: Aug. 15-29 August 15, 2014
- Rubenstein Library Renovation Update: July 17-31 July 17, 2014
- New Research Commons Gets a Name: The Edge June 30, 2014