Beginning September 23, a second work shift will be added to complete the demolition phase of the Rubenstein Library renovation. There is currently a 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. shift, and a second shift will be added from 4:00 p.m. to midnight. There will be some noise associated with the additional work hours, but it should be relatively contained and no worse than what library users are currently experiencing. As the demolition reaches the lower floors, there will be some noise that can be heard in the main Perkins Library building, especially on the first floor and Lower Level 1, along the side that abuts the 1928/48 walls.
Free earplugs are available at the Perkins Library Service Desk on the first floor for library users who are bothered by the renovation noise. We thank you for supporting our progress and apologize for any inconvenience.
Here’s a summary of the major work that will be done over the next two weeks.
Rubenstein Library Renovation Work (September 20 – October 4, 2013)
1. The construction material hoist in the rear of the building will be utilized to remove demolition debris.
2. Structural demolition of roof areas will continue on the 1928 and 1948 portions of the building.
3. Removal will begin of existing Duke stone elevator machine rooms and interior partitions.
4. The tower crane will be used to remove roof and floor slabs along with other demolition debris.
5. Biddle Rare Book Room exterior wall demolition on Levels 2 and 3.
In order to make all members of the Duke community aware of the major activities and potential noise issues associated with the Rubenstein Library renovation, we will be posting regular announcements of upcoming renovation work on this blog. If you have questions, please contact Aaron Welborn, Director of Communications, at 919-660-5816, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search the Rubenstein Renovation Blog
- Perkins Library Entrance Closing May 12 March 25, 2014
- Rubenstein Library Renovation Update: March 24-April 4 March 21, 2014
- An Exhibit Librarian’s Adventure in Washington, D.C. March 20, 2014
- Coming to Bostock Library in January 2015: The Research Commons March 17, 2014
- Rubenstein Library Renovation Update: Mar. 10-24 March 10, 2014