Over the last few weeks, construction crews working on the Rubenstein Library renovation have done a lot of work behind the scenes. Hazardous material remediation is almost complete. Several interior walls have been demolished to accommodate the new layout of the building. And the library’s roof has been taken off, so that workers can begin removing seven floors of former library stacks, working their way from the top floor to the bottom.
In order to make all members of the Duke community aware of the major activities and potential noise issues associated with the Rubenstein Library renovation, we will be posting regular announcements of upcoming renovation work on this blog. Here’s a summary of the major work that will be done over the next two weeks. If you have questions, please contact Aaron Welborn, Director of Communications, at 919-660-5816, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rubenstein Library Renovation Work (September 9-20, 2013)
Activities that will occur the next two weeks are as follows:
1. Crews will continue to remove loose parts along with interior wall demolition.
2. The construction material hoist in the rear of the building will be utilized to remove demolition debris.
3. Structural demolition of roof areas will continue on the 1928 and 1948 portions of the building.
4. Removal will begin of existing Duke stone elevator machine rooms and interior partitions.
5. The tower crane will be used to remove roof and floor slabs along with other demolition debris.
6. Scaffolding will be erected over the Biddle Rare Book Rooms and exterior wall demolition will begin on Floors 2 and 3.
7. Temporary walls around the existing stack core will be erected.
Free earplugs are available at the Perkins Library Service Desk on the first floor for library users who are bothered by the renovation noise. We thank you for supporting our progress and apologize for any inconvenience.
Search the Rubenstein Renovation Blog
- Rubenstein Library Renovation Update: Oct. 2-14 October 7, 2014
- Rubenstein Library Renovation Update: Aug. 15-29 August 15, 2014
- Rubenstein Library Renovation Update: July 17-31 July 17, 2014
- New Research Commons Gets a Name: The Edge June 30, 2014
- Noise Advisory: Research Commons Construction June 16, 2014