Renovation work on the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library continues on schedule. Over the last few weeks, workers have done a lot of demolition work inside the structure, removing seven dumpsters of asbestos insulation, disassembling the wooden shelving and millwork in the Gothic Reading Room, and exposing the original stone walls and steel support beams in the 1928 and 1948 portions of the building.
In order to make all members of the Duke community aware of the major activities and potential noise issues associated with the Rubenstein Library renovation, we will be posting regular announcements of upcoming renovation work on this blog. Here’s a summary of the major work that will be done over the next week. If you have questions, please contact Aaron Welborn, Director of Communications, at 919-660-5816, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rubenstein Library Renovation Work (August 22-30, 2013)
Activities that will occur the next week are as follows:
- On Thursday and Friday, August 22-23, a temporary wall will be built in the Perkins Exhibit Gallery, along the side with the windows that open onto the Rare Book Room. This will allow the construction company to separate the Rubenstein and Perkins library fire alarm systems and should prevent future false fire alarms in Perkins and Bostock Libraries.
- Next week, August 26-30, roof removal will begin as workers begin to disassemble the stack core of the 1928 and 1948 portions of the building.
- Also next week, August 26-30, workers will begin demolishing a formerly exterior 1928 library wall that was enclosed with the 1948 library renovation. This wall removal will be noisy and some noise will be noticeable on the side of Perkins Library that adjoins the renovation site.
Free earplugs are available at the Perkins Library Service Desk on the first floor for library users who are bothered by the renovation noise. We thank you for supporting our progress and apologize for any inconvenience.
Search the Rubenstein Renovation Blog
- Perkins Library Entrance Closing May 12 March 25, 2014
- Rubenstein Library Renovation Update: March 24-April 4 March 21, 2014
- An Exhibit Librarian’s Adventure in Washington, D.C. March 20, 2014
- Coming to Bostock Library in January 2015: The Research Commons March 17, 2014
- Rubenstein Library Renovation Update: Mar. 10-24 March 10, 2014