Renovation work on the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library continues on schedule. Over the last few weeks, workers have removed all of the old steel shelving from the 1928 and 1948 stacks, installed steel braces in several parts of the building to assist with structural stability, and erected the tower crane that you can now see hovering over our roof. Here are a few photos of our progress to date.
In order to make all members of the Duke community aware of the major activities and potential noise issues associated with the Rubenstein Library renovation, we will be posting regular announcements of upcoming renovation work on this blog. Here’s a summary of the major work that will be done over the next few weeks. If you have questions, please contact Aaron Welborn, Director of Communications, at 919-660-5816, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rubenstein Library Renovation Work (August 12-23, 2013)
Activities that will occur the next two to three weeks are as follows:
- Demolition and abatement: Crews will continue to remove loose parts, demolish interior walls, and continue work on hazardous material abatement throughout the 1928 and 1948 portions of the building.
- A material hoist will be completed and inspected. The hoist will be used to remove demolition debris.
- Structural demolition of the roof areas of the 1928 and 1948 portions of the building will begin.
- The tower crane will be used to remove roof and floor slabs, along with other demolition debris.
- Noise generated for selected activities (Scale: 1 = low, 10 = high)
- Equipment alarms in loading dock area behind Perkins Library (affecting Perkins and Divinity): Noise Level 5
- General demolition and abatement (affecting Perkins and Divinity): Noise Level 5
- Hoist erection (affecting Perkins and Divinity): Noise Level 5
We thank you in advance for supporting our progress, and we apologize for any inconvenience.
Search the Rubenstein Renovation Blog
- Rubenstein Library Renovation Update: Oct. 2-14 October 7, 2014
- Rubenstein Library Renovation Update: Aug. 15-29 August 15, 2014
- Rubenstein Library Renovation Update: July 17-31 July 17, 2014
- New Research Commons Gets a Name: The Edge June 30, 2014
- Noise Advisory: Research Commons Construction June 16, 2014