All Library Events
Duke's Academic Resource Center (ARC) offers faculty support resources for their teaching that focus on improving students' ability to learn and think critically about course material in and outside of the classroom. This session will share stories from a wide range of Duke students about their experiences learning in different courses. Participants will discuss scenarios in which teaching choices and strategies could affect the learning experiences and learning environment.
Presenter: Claire Parker Siburt, Ph.D. and others to be announced.
The Technology Engagement Center (The TEC) is a creative hub for technology innovation and experimentation available to faculty, researchers, students, and staff to support their teaching and learning needs. The TEC includes the Co-Lab Studio (a makerspace), Duke Research Computing, the Innovation Co-Lab (a technology creativity incubator on campus), and new video recording and editing suites. This session includes a tour and showcases examples of how faculty have creatively used this space. Bring your ideas and questions!
Presenter: Duke Office of Information Technology
Location: Technology Engagement Center (TEC). The TEC is located on the first floor oftheTelecommunicationsBuilding, .2 Telecom Drive Durham, NC 27708; See a map (link is external)
- Rubrics in Sakai (rubrics tool is coming soon - learn about it!)
- PlayPosit, a tool which makes video more engaging by asking questions or posing discussions while students watch
- Duke Extend, an open course platform that can expand instructors’ reach and give them new options for course delivery
- Slack, a popular tool for group chat and collaboration that provides deeper capabilities for teaching and learning
- Zapier, which allows you to connect 100s of different apps together in useful ways (we'll share examples)
- Techniques to increase retention of course material through the use of “boosters” to stimulate information recall andovercome the "Forgetting Curve."
Free Parking & Refreshments-- For more Information, contact Barbara Lau, firstname.lastname@example.org
Come find out what a great perq the library is to you as a staff member! Learn about our resources and our spaces.
The tours will start at the Perkins Library Service Desk.