Pope Benedict XVI’s resignation this month has put the Roman Catholic Church at the forefront of news media coverage. The Divinity School Library has a rich collection of research materials for study of the Catholic Church and the history of the papacy. Below you find a few selected resources available in the library or online.
- Enciclopedia dei Papi: (in Italian), Divinity reference, BX955.2 .E53 2000
- Oxford Dictionary of Popes (2010) online and in print
- The Papacy: an Encyclopedia (2002) in Divinity reference, BX955.3 .D5313 2002
- Book of the Popes (Liber Pontificalis): a book of biographies of popes from Saint Peter through the 15th century. Translated into English by Louise Ropes Loomis.
- The Vatican: the Holy See website provides an archive of primary documents (current and historic) relevant to the Catholic Church.
- Browse call number range BX955
- Browse primary sources in the Duke library catalog here: papacy — history — sources
- Comprehensive library research guide to Catholic studies